Wednesday 29 May 2013

Smash's Finale Bow

Well it finally happened, Smash's series finale was Monday (Sunday) and it was great, but I wish it was coming back.
It was a double, which softened the blow a little. We got the Tony Nominations in the first half, and then the awards in the 2nd.

I excited to see Brothers & Sisters' Luke MacFarlane (Scotty) in the ep, I've missed him since B & S ended.  -It was extra fun to have Ron Rifkin in there too, with his Sloane glasses. Also regular B & S director Michael Morris (husband of Mary McCormack) directed the first half. A Family affair.

It was also great to have more Bernadette Peters in the finale. I only wish we had got to play more with Ivy and her mother. Also wish we had been able to have more of her singing! But that's what the soundtrack is for.

I KNEW Ivy would win the Tony. I was wearing my 'Team Ivy' tshirt for good luck. Sorry Karen.
It was too funny when Julia and Tom talked right through being announced the winners. I'm glad Bombshell won for best musical...especially as it is what started the series in the beginning.

I'm glad they tied up a few loose ends. We had Derek's terrible treatment of Ana wrapped up...but unfortunately not until the other girl won a Tony for the role!
Tom and Julia were back together as a team.
Ivy's pregnancy storyline was never a good idea. But at least in a series finale it was usable.
Jimmy's storyline was wrapped up...sorta. The very quick backstory was a bit odd. But at least he showed up for Karen, and to accept Kyle's award. Poor Kyle.

The brought back Eileen's Nick. Which was kinda nice, but not entirely necessary. I was glad that Julia wrapped up things with Frank, and went to Michael Swift's door in the end though. I loved them together.

There was also plenty of good Jessica and Bobby stuff in these eps. I wish they had a spin off...Chorus Kids...or something.

There weren't many music numbers in the finale. But I did love the big group number with the whole cast including Jack Davenport..(which was odd). It was a nice goodbye to our cast. But it made me teary.
I loved the Hit List group number though. That was pretty.
The finale number with Karen and Ivy was good, but very bittersweet with all the references to another season. It just made me sad.

I guess overall Smash was complete. We started out with the idea of show, saw it grow through workshopping, casting issues, and then finally onto Broadway, and ending with Awards season...
It would have been nice to see what else could happen to our characters, but it doesn't feel like we were deprived on any important story-points. Just the promise of tomorrow.

Thanks, Megan, Katharine, Debra, Christian, Jeremy, Jack and Anjelica...and everyone else. Smash was something special and like all good things, will be greatly missed.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see Megan Hilty on Broadway sometime soon!!!

-----
 Carlie

No comments: